This website created by the City of Three Forks will assist its citizenry in understanding the issues associated with the local floodplain as well as the requirements of governments and local residents. Some of these include:
- To protect human life and health;
- To minimize expenditure of public money for costly flood control projects;
- To minimize the need for rescue and relief efforts associated with flooding and generally undertaken at the expense of the general public;
- To minimize prolonged business interruptions;
- To minimize damage to public facilities and utilities such as water and gas mains, electric, telephone and sewer lines, streets and bridges located in areas of special flood hazard;
- To help maintain a stable tax base by providing for the sound use and development of areas of special flood hazard so as to minimize future flood blight areas;
- To ensure that potential buyers are notified that property is in an area of special flood hazard; and
- To ensure that those who occupy the areas of special flood hazard assume responsibility for their actions.
This website should also assist Three Forks area residents requiring flood insurance to have lower annual premiums.
For a full text of the floodplain, its purpose, requirements, obligations and actions each person should read the floodplain ordinances by clicking that menu item to the left as well as perusing this entire site to get full details on the Three Forks area floodplain.
For any additional information or questions please contact the City of Three Forks, Kelly Smith - Floodplain Administrator. I can be reached by phone at (406) 285-4136, by fax at (406) 285-3431, by email at KSmith@ThreeForksMontana.us, or by regular mail or coming into City Hall: City of Three Forks, 206 Main Street, P. O. Box 187, Three Forks, MT 59752.